SWT is a noninvasive treatment that involves delivery of shock waves to injured soft tissue to reduce pain and promote healing.
The purpose of the therapy is to trigger the body’s own natural healing response. Many people report that their pain is reduced and mobility improved after the first treatment..
Shockwave therapy is a modality that is becoming more common in physiotherapy. Using a much lower energy than in medical applications, shockwave therapy, or extracorporeal shock wave therapy (ESWT), is used in the treatment of many musculoskeletal conditions, primarily those involving connective tissues such as ligaments and tendons.
Shockwave therapy has shown to effectively treat the following conditions:
- Feet – heel spurs, plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis
- Elbow – tennis and golfers elbow
- Shoulder – calcific tendinosis of rotator cuff muscles
- Knee – patellar tendonitis
- Hip – bursitis
- Lower leg – shin splints
- Upper leg – Iliotibial band friction syndrome
- Back pain – lumbar and cervical spine regions and chronic muscular painThe benefits of shockwave therapy treatment:
- Shockwave therapy has excellent cost/effectiveness ratio
- Non-invasive solution for chronic pain in your shoulder, back, heel, knee or elbow
- No anesthesia required, no drugs
- Limited side effects